Friday, June 17, 2011

Saul Alvarez excited for match against Ryan Rhodes

Saul Alvarez is arguably the most famous up-and-coming boxer in Mexico. On Saturday at the young age of 20 years old, "Canelo" is looking to jettison himself into Mexico's deep boxing history books. Alvarez is set to meet a dangerous assignment against mandatory challenger Ryan Rhodes of England, whom he will meet on Saturday night (HBO, 10:30 ET/PT) at the Arena Vicente Fernandez Gomez in Guadalajara, Mexico, Alvarez's hometown.

Prior to this fight, Alvarez claimed a vacant 154-pound belt in Anaheim, Calif., on March 5 with a virtual shutout decision against another Brit, Matthew Hatton, the younger brother of former junior welterweight champion Ricky Hatton. The venue for Canelo's next fight will offer the most pressure the young boxer has faced.

"Making his first title defense, [Alvarez] said to ESPN, 'I want to do it at home.' And we made that happen," said David Itskowitch, Golden Boy's chief operating officer. "We knew it was important to him and we wanted him to be able to fight in Guadalajara, where he's from."

Said Alvarez: "It's a dream come true. I'm very excited. I'm very happy to be able to defend my title in my home country, in front of my people. My public in Guadalajara and the people from Guadalajara, they've supported me since day one. So I'm very excited, I'm very happy."

Read more of this fascinating interview with Saul Alvarez from Dan Rafael at ESPN.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More